Tax and Divorce: 7 Questions to Ask

Home >    Blog >

Tax and Divorce: 7 Questions to Ask

Deadline for filing your taxes

Divorce is hard. Taxes make it harder.

We have identified 7 common tax questions that our divorcing clients ask when they call or visit our Atlanta, Georgia accounting firm.  Read on to know what to ask yourself!

What if all of My Tax Returns Have Not Been Filed?

The divorce court will want you to have tax returns filed and up-to-date. There are two reasons for this: to tie up the loose ends, and to provide the financial information needed for alimony and child support calculations.

Is it better to files returns jointly or separately? In the case of Married Filing Jointly, both you and your spouse are jointly liable for the tax debt, which is frequently a cause for concern in a divorce setting. With this in mind, it may be better to opt for Married Filing Separately, even if that means you must pay some extra taxes now.  Also, keep in mind that you cannot amend a return to switch from Married Filing Joint to Married Filing Separately.

You may want to check out our article on Joint Returns and Joint Liability for more detail on this topic.

What if you don’t know if your ex-spouse filed all the tax returns? In this case, you can contact the IRS to get your IRS transcripts which will show what, if anything, is missing.   IRS transcripts also provide details of 1099’s and W-2’s, which sometimes go missing during a divorce.

How Will the Tax Responsibilities be Divided?

If you file a joint tax return, both spouses are equally responsible for the taxes.   This is called joint and several liability.  The IRS will go after either party for unpaid taxes. If the divorce decree says that the husband or wife is responsible for the taxes, that is not binding on the IRS.   If one spouse claims that they he or she had no knowledge of the income activities of the other spouse, the objecting spouse may request relief under the Innocent Spouse Rules.

What If I Do Not Trust Previously Filed Tax Returns?

If you do not trust the previously filed tax returns, then you can file amended returns, provided that your spouse agrees.

What If I Do Not Trust Our Current Accountant?

Does your accountant play golf with your ex-spouse? If so, you may want to find a new accountant. Look for someone who is independent and will represent your interests.

Check out our article on Conflict of Interest for more details on this topic.

What If the Tax Returns Show Substantial Tax Debt and Penalties?

It may be time to start negotiating with the IRS for a resolution.  Options include Penalty Abatement, Offer-In-Compromise, Installment Agreement, or Currently Not Collectible Status.

Can I Sell Marital Property That has a Tax Lien on It?

Yes, the IRS will work with you to discharge or subordinate a lien so that you can sell the property pursuant to a divorce. The IRS would rather you be able to sell the house and pay off some or all of your tax debt, rather than leaving you stuck with both unpaid taxes and an unwanted house.

Are There Any Negotiation Points Related to Taxes That I Should Be Aware of When Dealing with My Spouse?

You or your accountant should prepare a tax projection that shows the after-tax cost of several financial matters relating to your divorce. These are:

1. Alimony, which is no longer taxable to the recipient and no longer deductible to the payee.
2. Who is Going to Claim the Children?   While children no longer provide dependency exemptions, there are child tax credits and earned income credits which need to be considered.
3. Head of Household Filing Status – You will want to run a projection that shows the after-tax benefit of this filing status post-divorce.

If you need additional answers to your tax-related questions, please give us a call at 678-235-5460.

To watch our YouTube video on this topic, click here!

For more information about the services we provide, visit our Home Page!

Massey and Company CPA is a boutique accounting firm located in Atlanta, Georgia serving the tax and accounting needs of small businesses and individuals throughout Georgia.

Massey and Company CPA

Based in Atlanta, Massey and Company CPA specializes in tax and accounting matters of small businesses, entrepreneurs, and their families.
We do everything related to tax return preparation and tax planning, as well as accounting and bookkeeping for small businesses using QuickBooks Online.
In addition, we represent taxpayers before the IRS, keeping taxpayers out of tax trouble. We negotiate with the IRS and the state, so you do not have to.
We know the tax issues. We know our way around the IRS. We know QuickBooks. And we know how to help you save taxes and keep more of your hard-earned profits.

Recent Posts