Tax planning is the overall topic of our recent podcast with The Shift Spot, a peer advisory community of fellow business owners who are passionate about making radical shifts in their businesses and lives.
Tax planning is the selection of legal options to minimize or eliminate taxes.
Tax planning includes
- optimizing the structure of transactions
- taking advantages of tax benefits
Critically, tax planning only utilizes options which are allowable under under the law. It does not include any form of deceit, concealment, tax evasion or fraud.
Tax planning is legal. Tax evasion or fraud is a crime.
As Judge Learned Hand famously said in Gregory v. Helvering (2d Cir. 1934), “Any one may so arrange his affairs that his taxes shall be as low as possible; he is not bound to choose that pattern which will best pay the Treasury; there is not even a patriotic duty to increase one’s taxes. ”
In other words, tax planning is a right and privilege available to all tax taxpayers. Be sure to take advantage of this.
Click the link below to hear our podcast where we go into this topic in more detail.
In the podcast, we cover a variety of strategies and other tax topics, including:
- Tax tips for people getting married
- Filing status on tax returns
- Joint and several liability on tax returns
- Innocent spouse relief
- Tips to stay out of tax trouble
- Accounting records
- QuickBooks Online
- Monthly bank reconciliations
- How to audit proof your business
- Keeping receipts
- Should I do my own payroll?
- Letters and notices from the IRS or the state Department of Revenue
- Challenge of pricing services
- Value pricing
- Starting a home business
- IRS and state audits
- Sales taxes
If you are in need of a new CPA firm, feel free to reach out to gary.massey@masseyandcompanyCPA.com. We are based in Atlanta and work with clients nationwide.
Our website is: www.masseyandcompanyCPA.com